Sunday, April 7, 2013

Glass Gelageries

In honor of the play, The Glass Menagerie that was playing here in Cambridge, I made some Glass Gelageries.  These edible cocktails are made from ginger beer and lemon simple syrup with a vanilla bean milk gelatin unicorn.






I went and saw The Glass Menagerie at the A.R.T in March.  This was one of my favorite plays in school and used to just read it over and over again.  Tennessee William's poetic language and heart-wrenching pent up emotion is sizzling. I've seen a few productions and the movie with John Malkovitch was the best adaptation so far.

However this recent production went above and beyond.  Cherry Jones is brilliant to watch on stage. Her role in Doubt is still one of the top five performances I have witnessed. When Laura is pulled out of the couch by Tom, I knew this was going to be a redefining moment of how excellent theater can be.  I was hoping this play would move on to Broadway, but as of yet, I haven't heard anything.

If you aren't familiar with the play or just need a Cliff Note's brush up, one of the characters, Laura, has a collection of glass animals. She gives the unicorn to The Gentleman Caller after he accidentally breaks the horn off of it.  Notice the gel in the middle has a broken horn!



Celia Keenan-Bolger played Laura with such dynamic power. How does an actress play shy yet still radiate energy out to the audience?

These gels were my attempt to thank the cast and crew for the wonderful experience they provided for the audience.  Now with Book of Mormon opening in Boston, I have to come up with some themed gels for them. hmm......




No comments: